Ashlyns School Expansion Works, Berkhamsted
Ashlyns School is Berkhamsted’s only state funded secondary school, and is housed in a Grade II listed neo-Georgian campus, dating from 1935, which was originally built as an orphanage. In 2012 the school received funding for a major upgrade of its premises following a re-organisation of Berkhamsted’s schools. Ashlyns was required to expand from 800 to 1200 pupils, and as a result there was the need for around sixteen additional teaching spaces.
The extra classrooms were provided through a combination of the refurbishment of under-used or redundant spaces, and alterations to provide sometimes radically different uses for parts of the existing buildings.
The work was completed to an extremely tight timescale in time for the intake of new pupils in September 2013.